Thus Far

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

So here I am in Germany. I came to the Gestüt Saturday and have been working ever since. The horses, instruction and people here are incredible. I keep having to remind myself that its for real. I spend most mornings grooming (the stallions) and putting horses in and out of the hot walker. Actually, I might as well give you a detailed glimpse at the routine here: Katrin picks Nadine and me up at a very punktlich 7:10am from our hotel (a SAFU in itself), at the barn, we help with feeding, then we go to breakfast. After that we help put shavings in stalls, open the stall windows for the horses and tack up French Kiss, the first horse. We sweep, and continue tacking/untacking horses for the next 3-4 hours. After that, machen wir eine Pause (2 hour lunch break) then Nadine and I spend the rest of the day lunging, grooming, and riding. Thus far, I've ridden one of the stallions (Rubinstolz...GP), and two of the younger horses. Most of the time its very much like a Kari-group lesson: you ride as normal and occationally you receive instruction from Katrin. With the less advanced horses, we are often turned loose with. Katin is incredible, in a word. Not only can she teach in both languages, but she has an excellent eye and provides excellent guidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home