Thus Far

Monday, March 27, 2006

I got this *ridiculously* good smelling thing in the mail today. Call it a 'love gift' from a best friend who knows me far too well. Its one of those things that if it weren't for public decency, my nose would be permanently attached to. It smells just that good.

[and if you haven't noticed, smells mean a LOT to me. i kinda freaked out my first year roomies when we were getting to know each other over the phone before college started when i asked them what their favorite scent was. ]

Brings me back to another place, another time.

Reminds me of traveling around eastern Virginia with my parents (was it really 10 years ago?!); of Mount Vernon and Chincoteague, where it grew wild along the roads and the air was laden with it.

More recently, it reminds me of warm summer nights in WA spent talking to Em and Ad on the deck. [Until very recently, we had a huge honeysuckle plant wrapped around the front porch/deck that i'd have to battle every summer with a pair of scissors]. And somehow, it reminds me of the night swims that Em and I would take at her beach house on Harstine...and the night God spoke to me out of the oblivion. Mixed in with that plant and Em was the day Boots chose us...me really, since I was the first to pet him, to pick him up.

Then there's Miari and Ferg and the 2000 show season. Right before the home show, I gave two plants to Kari to plant on the farm. They remained alive the entire time I was at the barn, but met their end in a windstorm since I came out east.

Smelling it, the present becomes the past and the future simultaneously.

Best of all, I can take the present with me to Germany and let it perfume my apartment and my life there. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home