Thus Far

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wow.. haven't posted in awhile. Sorry about that.

But God has been incredibly faithful.

I spent much of last week questioning everything: my job, my life, my existance, God's love; i think salvation was also probably somewhere in the mix. But by the end of the week, God affirmed that I am here, where I need to be, doing what I need to be doing. The confirmation is nice :)

Tied into this, my best friend from high school is coming out for a week for a business conference and the flight times are in such a way that we get to spend a morning together, and then 2-3 days. It's her first time out east; she'll come in two weeks.

Last Saturday TOTALLY got me hooked on what I'm doing. Greg (supervisior) asked me to help out at a youth outreach event that a bunch of churches put together. So I went and spent 6 hours keeping an eye on 4-12 year olds. I think there were about 80 kids. After a morning of games, crafts and lunch, this group from a local Russian church (!) (i think they're quickly becoming my 'new best friends') did a "Kid'z Church" service. It was AMAZING. Better then some of the 'normal' church services i've been to. But they talked about how we are created for a specific purpose: to worship God. At the end, when the alter call came, there was not many kids left in their seats (about 10). EVERYONE ELSE came forward to either dedicate their lives to Christ for the first time or to rededicate their lives to him. It was totally the Spirit-- when the alter call first came, the row of girls sitting infront of me IMMEDIATELY jumped forward, out of their seats and came forward. The alter call wasn't even finished. The other volunteers and I went forward and laid hands on the kids and prayed over them, then we formed a circle around the kids and prayed. It was an AMAZING experience-- just writing about it now gives me goosebumps. This "Soul Business" thing is addictive. In a good way, of course. ;-)

As far as settling in, i'm still trying to find my limits of what i can and cant do and get comfortable with the teens and news. Least I forget why I am here, but not always being a 'nervous rabbit' would be a good thing. My heart goes out to one of the guys in the house and to the teens I work with: they have lost A LOT of friends lately from gang violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home