Thus Far

Sunday, August 06, 2006

I went Episcopalian today at this church (www.christchurchcathedralspringfield.org). It was refreshing to be reminded of God's holiness, to be confronted with His awesome and terrible power. It seems like all too often recently I have put God in a box, have split hairs ("yes, but...") and have tried to conform him to my image, instead of me to His. While the unstated code of conduct (when to sit, stand, kneel, cross oneself, etc) might seem stuffy and the litergal readings dry and bland, I worshiped more there then I have the past month or so. Somewhere in the midst of it all, I heard God, I felt God and leaned against His mighty shoulder. I might not have worshipped in the Spirit, but oh boy, did I worship in His truth.

Side note: one really cool thing about this church, is that they're dedicated to helping Springfield's poor; they run a soup kitchen for the low income at lunch every day (about 200 in the neighborhood show up), they're bilingual (while ties could be strenghtened between congregations, there are ties existing, so it not just one church, two bodies, but rather one church, one body-ish), and they're letting Nehemiah Ministries use their building for a homeless awareness day.

I'll admit, I didn't entirely go [to the service] for kicks.

A couple days ago, a housemate asked me an innocent question that still throbs-- "Do you miss riding?" I stammered out an answer, but answer is my silence, the tears no one has seen, the longing ache of my heart. It's not just riding that I miss, its Germany.

More than any other sanctuary I've seen in this city, CCC's reminds me of the German church... while there are some differences between the Evangelical church (Germany) and the Episcopalian church, they are more similar than different.

Side, side note: Like the Evangelical church, the congregation was prodominately older (middle aged, retired, elderly), yet the congregation was one of the warmest, friendliest congregations that I've encountered in the US (very similar to Europe). I was stopped by several people (including a MHC alum) to chat... ironically most 'normal' or charasmatic (Assembly of God, Baptist, United Methodist) churches that I've been to don't have congregations like that.

On a different note, I've gotten quite a bit of quilting done recently and the one the MoHos all saw me working on last year is nearly finished! I WILL get it done before I leave for Toah Nipi on Saturday... HURRAH!

Speaking of Toah Nipi, I received some conference material (even the word 'conference' makes me feel all official and business like) for the regional/area conference. This IV stuff is beginning to feel more like a reality.

CONGRATS to Tori!!!! How exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home